Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Rosary For Busy Moms: Pt. #2

+JMJ+

Happy Solemnity of Saint Joseph!


Well, we *still* don't have wireless back, but at least I can sit here tethered to the wall like the good ol' days and get some posting done.  Today, I'm continuing my series on the Rosary.  In Part 1, I talked a little bit about the history of the Rosary.  In Part 2, I'm tackling the question:

How Can I Fit the Rosary 
Into My Busy Day?

Lots of wonderful, holy, virtuous people will tell you that making time to pray will actually make your schedule "fall into place" better.  I happen to agree with them, but one of the biggest obstacles to working on a prayer life is simply finding the "right" time in what seems like an already-packed schedule. Though saying the Rosary only takes 15-20 mins (unless you're like me and go into ecstasy every time you pick one up-- that'll take you longer), it can seem a daunting task to find those precious few minutes.  So here's my first tip: start by doing it at the same time you do something else. 

1. In the Car
You may be busy shuttling the kids and the groceries from place to place, but driving isn't an activity that prohibits one from listening to music and singing along wildly-- why would it prohibit you from saying the Rosary? You can either pop in this wonderful CD by the MaryFoundation...


Get Your Copy Here

...or keep track of the decades with a little pocket rosary or with your fingers. I find the latter easier because my hands are on the steering wheel anyway, so I just press a little with each finger as I go through the decade. I love doing this because the kids are always in the car with me and they absorb so much of it just by listening.  Sometimes they even pray along!

2. During Your Walk/Exercise
In summer I find myself taking advantage of the city by walking.  Some of you may have regular times when you go for a run, swim, etc.  Instead of immediately pumping up the jams, play the Rosary on your iPod. If you're saying it on your own, though, try to match the rhythm of your breathing to the prayer.  This is an ancient meditative technique (commonly used with the Jesus Prayer) and could even help with your workout.

3. While Doing Chores
Some days, sitting on the couch for fifteen minutes just isn't going to happen.  At time like those, I just say my Rosary while I'm washing dishes.  This poses its own difficulties because my hands are covered in soapy water and I can't spare the fingers to grasp anything.  So I took advantage of a blank spot behind our sink and did this: 

It's a cross with ten little decorative paper swatches taped to the wall. Fancy, no? Everyone thinks I'm just skimping on the decor, but we know better. This has been a huge help on those super-busy days and it also helps me to think about allllllllllllllll the work that I do and how it serves my family-- it's a reminder that every chore can be a form of prayer. 

4. Throughout the Day
Don't have fifteen minutes doing any of these things? Say your Rosary in segments throughout the day. For example: 
First Decade- in the shower
Second Decade- in the car
Third Decade- in line at the grocery store
Fourth Decade- back in the car
Fifth decade- while you're setting the dinner table

AMEN.

This is just a start. I can guarantee that if you're just beginning (as I was six months ago), it will be hard. I still find it hard most days, but even on those days when my brain seems to be fighting me, I can sometimes feel a tugging at my heart that helps me.  Those are the days I expressly try to quiet myself and NOT say the Rosary at a time when doing something else.  But enough about me. Now I want to know: 

Do you say the Rosary regularly?
If not the Rosary, do you have another prayer you like to say on a regular basis? 
How do you make the time? 




1 comment: