Wednesday, March 26, 2014

New Shop!

+JMJ+

When I did my 7 Quick Takes featuring the dolls, momof5 wrote in the combox:
"I think they are adorable. I would love to make these for my grandchildren. Would you consider making a pattern and selling it? I think there is a big Catholic audience for these if you market them."
First of all, I am incapable of doing "patterns." I just never learned and I don't have the patience for it. Each of these are done free-hand with regard to details-- I just start with three basic pieces and add on as I see fit. So that's all I have to offer, but you are welcome to it!


Second of all, I have a hard time with "intellectual property rights." If someone sees something that I am doing and you want to do it-- go right ahead! Acknowledgment is nice, but with something like this that's just a blank template, all the creativity belongs to you. :) I, for one, was inspired to make my own dolls based on the wonderfully talented SaintlySilver, but the shapes and designs are my own.

As you'll see on the "pattern," I use two different body shapes.  The female saints usually get Body Type A and generally the men get Body Type B, but this is totally up to you.  Just cut out two pieces of felt in that shape, either in a single color or you can stitch different colors together in the correct shape (e.g. Maximilian Kolbe or Helen).  I make the halos with two pieces of felt as well, being sure to stitch them to the back of the body and then when I close the seam I stitch to the front part as well.  Faces are attached and hair is added on the top.  All of the faces are done with black embroidery floss, using French Knots for the eyes. Everything is done with a blanket stitch and I use poly-fill for the stuffing. Depending on the intricacy of the design, it takes between 1.5-3 hours for any of these dolls. Inspiration for design is taken from classic icons and art.  I hope this helps! If not, please shoot me an email and I'll see if I can be more specific. :)

Link to shop
Finally, I have actually decided to open up shop on Etsy. I used to have a knitting shop, so I expect I'll eventually add some knit/crochet items as well. For now, I have a few dolls ready-made for purchase. My custom order schedule is all full right now, but feel free to contact me if you'd like something made-- I could give you an idea of timeline!

Thanks for all the great feedback and thank you to my wonderful friends and family who are supporting me in this endeavor so far!!

UPDATE: I have also started a "Gallery Site" at Weebly: MotherMerryCrafts. I may streamline everything to bring it back here soon, but this works for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment