A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to get a girls' day out with my friends C and L (i.e. our amazing husbands watched the kids for us all day! Thank you amazing husbands!). Of course, we spent our free time going to a seminar... because that's what we do.
It was called "The Art of Living" and it's an ongoing program hosted by a local Opus Dei group. The title of this particular offering was called "Master of the House" and it focused on beauty and the importance beauty has in our homes. I could write a whole post on that idea, but the keynote talk was all about the Most Important Room in the Home. Can you guess what it is?
Most of us guessed the kitchen.
Some said the family room.
It never crossed my mind that the answer is: The Master Bedroom.
|I didn't realize my bedroom looked EXACTLY like Jackie Kennedy's!|
1. Your marriage is the foundation upon which your family is built.
2. Husband and wife need their own space apart from the children, a place where they can relax... and do other stuff.
3. While it is important to try to make your whole home communicate "beauty," your first obligation is towards nurturing that marital relationship and therefore you should focus on the bedroom when you begin decorating.
I take number 1 as a given, though I will venture to say that perhaps there are people out there who would disagree. I totally agree with number 2, but consequently, how seriously should I weigh number 3? Because right now my master bedroom kind of looks like this:
|Yeah, I was totally kidding about the last one. This one, too. Kind of.|
I also find myself thinking that even though it's nice to have a little "retreat" space set up for us, we don't really spend all that much time awake in our bedroom. We have a front room in which we relax, do our work and socialize. How important is that other room?
I say these things and then I think: "Really important."
I hate walking into the bedroom and feeling like I'd rather be somewhere else. As I said-- it's not even that our room is particularly messy or even that it's poorly decorated. Right now it just feels sparse. And cobbled together. We weren't really thinking about "designing" a room when we lugged in the discount furniture and the cheap blackout curtains a few years ago. But now I really want to do something about it-- because even if the Master Bedroom doesn't register as The Most Important Room, I can admit that perhaps it actually is. And even if not, I'm getting stir crazy with this New England winter and I need a project!
So here's where you all come in!
1. What is the "most important" room in your house as it stands now? Ours is the living room because I've spent way more time decorating/re/re/re/redecorating that than I have anywhere else. And that's where we spend most of our time.
2. How would you start beautifying a sparse and perhaps eclectic room on a budget? (bonus points: do it without paint! Or changing carpeting. Or buying a new wardrobe)
3. What's your favorite colour palette for a bedroom?
4. What do *you* think about prioritizing the bedroom when putting together a home?
I will excitedly await your responses. :)